The latest urgent travel warning for Brits going on holiday to GreeceTravel
The Foreign Office has issued an urgent warning for British tourists travelling to Greece as wildfires rage across the island of Zante, also called Zakynthos.
Wildfires have been reported near to Keri Village, less than 12km away from the popular resort, Zante town.
One hotel and part of Keri village have been evacuated.
The Foreign Office are advising: “If you’re in the area, you should follow the advice of Greek authorities and monitor the website of the General Secretariat for Civil Protection .”
Thousands of tourists flock from across London to Zante to visit the beautiful beaches and party in the main island’s clubs.
Greece is particularly vulnerable to wildfires during the summer period due to the heat and lack of rain.
Last month wildfires tore across the islands of Leros, Evia and Samos.
For people visiting Greece the UK government advise: “Forest fires are highly dangerous and unpredictable.
“Take care when visiting or driving through woodland areas. Make sure cigarette ends are properly extinguished, and don’t light barbecues.
“Causing a forest fire is treated as a criminal offence in Greece even if unintentional. If you see a forest fire, call the emergency services on 112.”
- America’s Got Talent: Lukas & Dog Falco Returning with ‘Emotional’ PerformanceBy Kelly RushIn Tv Series & ShowsAugust 17, 2019
- James Weir recaps The Bachelorette episode 7By Kelly RushIn MoviesAugust 16, 2019
- Adults take girls’ pain less seriouslyBy Kelly RushIn ScienceAugust 16, 2019
- Things get tense during Sara and Shaynna Block showdownBy Kelly RushIn MoviesAugust 21, 2019
- Electric car owners could choose which fake sounds their cars make under new proposalBy Kelly RushIn TechnologyAugust 14, 2019